At the 2018 Tampa workshop, she will be taking pitches as well as teaching a speech on self-editing and revision.
After receiving a BA in Writing, Literature, and Publishing from Emerson College, Kaitlyn refused to leave the concept of nightly homework behind. As well as being an apprentice agent for Corvisiero Literary Agency, she is also a freelance editor at her own company, K. Johnson Editorial, and has worked as a copyeditor for academic publisher codeMantra, a YA editor for Accent Press, and a Conference Assistant for GrubStreet, Boston. She has written various articles for Writer’s Digest and has had a flash fiction story published in the anthology A Box of Stars Beneath the Bed.
She is seeking:
- upper middle grade
- young adult
- new adult romance
- fantasy works (yes, that very much includes urban!) and time travel
- romance (erotic elements OK)
- historical fiction: anything other than Henry VIII, Shakespeare, American Civil War, Greek gods/myths
- contemporary can grab her attention only if the concept is unique and well executed
- LGBT (as well as characters questioning their sexuality) welcome in all above genres
Kaitlyn is NOT accepting:
– Chapter or picture books
– Horror, thriller/suspense
– Novellas, poetry, or short story collections
– Storylines heavily dependent on religious motives/events/themes
Her favorite authors/books include the following: Cornelia Funke (Inkheart series); Michael Buckley (Undertow series); John Green (more Looking for Alaska, less An Abundance of Katherines); Gayle Forman (Just One Year and Just One Day); Lois Lowry (The Giver series); Scott O’Dell (Island of the Blue Dolphins). Her favorite TV shows are Doctor Who, Buffy, Supernatural, Firefly — basically the nerdier the fandom the better.